- We should cease striving and know God our fortress who will surely be exalted amidst His people’s challenges.
- God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble. (v.1) Selah.(v.3)
- God is the Israelites' refuge, strength and their very present help therefore, they can trust Him even in times of great challenges.
- God is the refuge and strength, that those who trust in Him need not fear in times of trouble.
- God is our refuge and strength whom we can (personally) trust even as we face big challenges.
- G.K. Chesterton said that: “A man was meant to be doubtful about himself, but undoubting about the truth; this has been exactly reversed.” Chesterton, Gilbert Keith. Orthodoxy (Moody Classics). Moody Publishers. Kindle Edition.
- “Complete self-confidence is not merely a sin; complete self-confidence is a weakness. Believing utterly in one’s self is a hysterical and superstitious belief…” Chesterton, Gilbert Keith. Orthodoxy (Moody Classics) (pp. 7-8). Moody Publishers. Kindle Edition.
- “…the strongest and most unmistakable mark of madness is this combination between a logical completeness and a spiritual contraction.” Chesterton, Gilbert Keith. Orthodoxy (Moody Classics) (p. 14). Moody Publishers. Kindle Edition.
7 The Lord of hosts is with us; The God of Jacob is our stronghold. Selah.(v.7)
- God who dwells in His city will powerfully protect His people.
- God is the stronghold of His people and He will protect their city amidst the uproar of other nations and fall of kingdoms.
- God is our stronghold, therefore, we will not be moved as we experience difficult situations. (in our work, in our church and in our country)
“10 “Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” 11 The Lord of hosts is with us; The God of Jacob is our stronghold. Selah.”
- God is so powerful that He can cause destruction yet He is also the one who makes the wars cease for the benefit of men. Men can cease striving but rather know God by entrusting all their concerns .
- God's power can make awesome works of desolation and peace. He will be known as God and will be exalted in all the earth. He is the stronghold of His people.
- God is our stronghold, we need to cease striving and let Him exalt Himself as He give His protection to us.
32 “Therefore this is what the Lord says concerning the king of Assyria: “‘He will not enter this city or shoot an arrow here. He will not come before it with shield
or build a siege ramp against it. 33 By the way that he came he will return; he will not enter this city, declares the Lord. 34 I will defend this city and save it,
for my sake and for the sake of David my servant.’” 35 That night the angel of the Lord went out and put to death a hundred and eighty-five thousand in the Assyrian camp. When the people got up the next morning—there were all the dead bodies! 36 So Sennacherib king of Assyria broke camp and withdrew. He returned to Nineveh and stayed there. 37 One day, while he was worshiping in the temple of his god Nisrok, his sons Adrammelek and Sharezer killed him with the sword, and they escaped to the land of Ararat. And Esarhaddon his son succeeded him as king. 2 Kings 19